Traveling (Virtually) During Quarantine
Most of us have been quarantined at home for quite some time now. If cabin fever is getting to you, now’s the time to explore various free virtual adventures across the globe! Do you want to visit the most famous museum in the world? What about the ancient pyramids, or the tallest mountain in the world? Well, you can do all of that, and have plenty of time to spare for an African safari. The best part? You don’t even have to get out of bed.
Zoos, Aquariums and Wildlife
Many zoos and aquariums around the world are offering livestream and prerecorded videos of some of their cutest critters. If you’re looking for something a little wilder, hop aboard a live safari stream or take a forest walk with some of Jane Goodall’s favorite pals.
- Africam, South Africa
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden, Cincinnati
- Georgia Aquarium, U.S.
- Gombe National Park, Tanzania
- London Zoo, U.K.
- Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Australia
- Monterey Bay Aquarium, U.S.
- National Aquarium, U.S.
- San Diego Zoo, U.S.
- Smithsonian National Zoo, U.S.
- Taronga Zoo, Australia
- WILDwatch Live (andBeyond), South Africa
- WildEarth, South Africa
- Zoos Victoria, Australia
From right next door in Washington, D.C., to the Forbidden Palace in China, various museums around the world offer virtual tours showcasing their priceless artifacts. Lie back in bed for a few minutes and take in the Sistine Chapel’s famous ceiling, or enjoy your morning coffee while sitting across from a former president.
- The British Museum, U.K.
- Guggenheim Museum, U.S.
- The Louvre, France
- MASP, Brazil
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, U.S.
- Musée d’Orsay, France
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, South Korea
- The Palace Museum, China
- Rijksmuseum, Netherlands
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, U.S.
- Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, U.S.
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, U.S.
- Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery, U.S.
- Vatican Museums, The Vatican
Pick from some of humankind’s wondrous creations, all across the world. Take a stroll on the Great Wall of China or, if you’re feeling a little bolder, through the disturbingly cramped Catacombs of Paris.
- Acropolis Monuments, Greece
- Buckingham Palace, U.K.
- Catacombs of Paris, France
- Chichén Itzá, Mexico
- Eiffel Tower, France
- Great Wall of China, China
- Machu Picchu, Peru
- Milan Cathedral, Italy
- Palace of Versailles, France
- Pyramids of Giza, Egypt
- Stonehenge, U.K.
- Taj Mahal, India
- Ambrym Volcano, Vanuatu
- Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, U.S.
- Giant’s Causeway, U.K.
- The Grand Canyon, U.S.
- Hang Sơn Đoòng, Vietnam
- Mount Everest, Nepal
- Mount Fuji, Japan
- Namib Desert, Namibia
- Victoria Falls, Zambia
- Yellowstone National Park, U.S.
- Yosemite National Park, U.S.
- Zhāngjiājiè National Forest Park, China
- Quarantine Reading Recommendations
- Isolation Baking: A Guide for Stress Bakers
- Ways in Which We Can Help Throughout the Coronavirus Pandemic
Want to read more from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine? Subscribe to the Biomedical Odyssey blog and receive new posts directly in your inbox.